Thursday, October 1, 2009

9 Week Ultrasound

So, I had my first appointment with our high risk perinatologist yesterday. The baby looked fine, was in there and moving around. He/She had a heart rate of 183. We did not get any clear pictures because I had an empty bladder and I also have a funky uterus which makes it difficult to see anything. Not to mention, the shoving the doppler into the flesh of my c-section scar makes me want to die!


Here is the best of what we did get:



Looks like a turkey to me! I should have been 9 weeks and 1 day but the baby measured 8 weeks and 1 day.

I have to go back in 4 weeks for some further testing for genetic abnormalities such as spina bifida, down syndrome, and cleft palate type things. They said it would consist of an ultrasound and blood work. And, apparently the MTHFR mutation I have causes me to be at greater risk for these birth defects- especially since I was not taking folic acid 3 months before I got pregnant. I wasn't taking it because I wasn't trying to get pregnant. However, I'm now on 10 times the normal recommended dosage which they told me now brings me to the level a normal person would have- absurd, huh?

So, in my consultation yesterday, Dr. Thorpe tells me that he doesn't think my MTHFR mutation is the cause of my losses. He said that he thinks there is something else going on but they just haven't found it yet. Considering all of my health issues over the last year and a half, this makes complete sense that I have some weird problem that no one can find...I feel like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle with all of my mutations!

Now, for anyone wanting info on the MTHFR mutation, I will post some brief things that I have learned in a new post.

Just think, my baby will look like a REAL BABY in the next ultrasound and not a turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers